Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Who would it be?


Well, if you haven't already noticed, things around here are starting to take on a different appearance. There have been some sites that I have been meaning to add to the link section, I didn't like the look of the layout and the title was just lacking. Hopefully these changes are a step in a positive direction.

On to another thought I wanted to discuss here. One of my favorite parts of creating my own blog (besides sharing some of my obscure tunes) is the open discussion that has gone on here. I really appreciate the people who have taken the time to write down their own opinions of things (good or bad), give suggestions or recommendations for music that might follow a similar vein, and even post some of their own stuff here. There are many interesting and fascinating things going on around us, why not share your favs with others around? It's always cool finding something fresh to enjoy, or at least forming a new opinion. Exploration.

Okay, enough of all of that philosophising. Down to the meat and potatoes for this post--a hypothetical situation. If you were isolated somewhere for a year (hokey and overused I know, but bear with me here) and could only take one musical artist's complete discography (as leader and sideman) with you, who would it be? I don't know what spurred this question in my head, but I probably have spent too much time thinking about it lately (Perhaps a lull at work?). As the idea progressed, I realized that I would want someone who has a wide variety of recorded music under his or her belt. Too much of one style would burn me out. Big time names floated in and out until finally it hit me. The man pictured above. Max Roach. Who else could it be? Let's start off with all of his classic albums with Bird and Diz, or the Massey Hall date. In the mood for some trumpet? How about all of his recordings with Clifford Brown. Hmmm, too mellow and straight ahead you might think. Turn to 70's Max. The one who recorded with Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton and Archie Shepp. "Force" and "The Long March" (with Shepp) are two of my all-time favorites, and that "Historic Concerts" disc with CT is just something else entirely. No shortage of creativity there. Heck, I even like (thoroughly) his Paris concert recerded with Dizzy (1989), despite the somewhat mixed reactions. And those are just some of the standout albums that come to mind immediately.

To sum it up simply: Max Roach. The most talented individual? Definitely up there, but obviosuly not. Am I way off base here by choosing him? Who would you pick? What would be the defining factors in your choice? Inquiring minds want to know!

Here's an interesting link to a BBC site that follows along similar lines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs.shtml

p.s. For all of you album junkies, I'll try and put up some Lester Bowie later this week...

13 comments:

1009 said...

roach is a great idea. not the first person i would have thought of, but the breadth of his catalogue is tremendous.

for somewhat similar reasons i'd take derek bailey. aside from the fact that i think his solo performances are always dazzlingly unique, he has played with every combination of musicians ever recorded (as his alterego charlie appleyard claims).

and yes yes on the lester bowie. i know very little of his stuff outside of his participation on jimmy lyons' other afternoons. looking forward to this!

Anonymous said...

I have nearly left a comment a dozen times since you posed this question, but every time I think about it my opinion changes!!!


Also for me Max Roach was not my first thought, although I too understand why you chose him. In the jazz world drummers are a good choice as they tended to play a lot as sidemen and not as group leaders, with the obvious exception of Art Blakey!! Elvin Jones would be a good choice because you would have most of Coltrane’s albums as well, then there's Hamid Drake or Sabu Toyozumi both have tremendous diversity in their recorded output?

In a few years time Chris Corsano may well be the person I would go with, he is a prolific performer and in a few short years; he has built up quite an impressive discography?

However; today I will say Frank Zappa or Sun Ra, although neither offer the sideman aspect of your choice, they are for me; the two most influential musicians of recent times, and each of their respective discography's offer enough of a choice and variety for me not too get bored! No matter who else I have a particular interest in at any given time, I always go back too a Zappa or Ra album.
As your question specifies one artist; my choice between these two would have too be decided by the toss of a coin, at the moment that I had to make the final decision!!

J-Bombay said...

Ahhhh,

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Brent, I have to admit that I only had a very pedestrian knowledge of Bailey until just recently. For some reason, I just wasn't all that into guitar stuff. I was only familiar with this work with Evan Parker, but just hadn't listened to him in other contexts. Fortunately, more and more of his stuff seems to be popping up around the blogosphere and I seriously am starting to rethink my previous notions. Any albums that I absolutely have to hear?

J-Bombay said...

Flux'us,
Man, what should I have expected? I can't believe I left Hamid Drake out of my mental roster. Yeah, that would be a great choice as well, and might even make me change my Roach decision. I love his stuff with William Parker, and he has so many different projects going on. Good call.

As for Chris Corsano, can't really say that I know much about him other than a casual mention here or there. Any albums that you could recommend?

I know what you were talking about when you say you ultimately go back to Zappa or Ra albums. I eventually end up heading back to my Ornette, Mingus and the AEC from time to time. Funny how that happens, huh? Oh yeah, nice choices as well!

As for something entirely different, I saw your post over at Church Number 9 about having "Air Time", but needing "Air Lore." I have "Lore," albeit in AAC format right now that I would readily post were it not already mentioned over at the other site. I'll leave a post over there and see what we can do for you. After that great BF test, we can't keep you waiting!

Any chances of talking you into ripping "Time"? :)

Anonymous said...

J,

Re: Corsano, It is hard too recommend a particular album as his recorded output is really diverse. However if you want to go for something in the free jazz vain, I would look out for either the Vinyl only “Snow Blind Avalanche” or the CD only “A Rock In The Snow”. Both of these were released on Important Records, last year. They are from the same session, but both contain completely different music. For each; the line up is Paul Flaherty, Chris Corsano & C Spencer Yeh.
I can't say too much; but you may well find a nice duo recording appearing soon!!!

Air Lore as you say Glmlr may have already sent Atanase a copy. I do appreciate your offer though, we’ll see what happens.
Time; I will gladly rip for you but it will not be for a few weeks. I’m going away over Easter 7th to 13th, because I have put off any appointments & meetings at work for the next two weeks, I know that when I get back; I will not have any time too myself, until the end of the month.

J-Bombay said...

Hey again Flux'us,

I'll have to go check out that Corsano stuff. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if I got into it--I would just have to chalk it up as another musician you turned me on to.

About the Air Time, don't worry about it. I saw from Centrifuge that it is still in print and just found a cheap CD copy. Thanks for the offer, though!

As for the Air Lore, I'll wait to hear back from Atanase before I put anything up here. Just saw some new stuff on his site that I can't wait to check out!

-J

centrifuge said...

yeah... i really tend to avoid these sorts of "desert island" questions (i'm a terrible party-pooper when it comes to hypotheticals...) but i suppose when the banishment order comes i'll take it as a chance to undergo total immersion in sun ra. i've spent thousands of hours listening to zappa already (and in his case what i'd need to hear more of now is unedited live recordings - which are presumably not on the table!) but i'm only cautiously slipping in and out of sun ra a little at a time, for fear of falling in and not being able to climb back out again... a year away from society or another music, i'd take sonny and by the time the year was up, i'm sure i'd no longer care whether they were gonna let me back in or not :)

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm

etc

Anonymous said...

I sometimes go off to India to live in a kind of ashram and I take a limited amount of music and a player. As a bit of a 'spiritual' nut, if I only had one choice, it would be John Coltrane whose complete work I have actually burnt as mp3 on a cd to take with me next time. I take other stuff too but I never tire of Coltrane.

J-Bombay said...

Heya Centrifuge,

Yeah, the more I listen to Ra, the more I realize how diverse his catalog is. I know when I throw a bunch his stuff on my iPod, I never know what to expect next. His albums are all over the map. Personally, I am a fan of his Magic City and Atlantis albums, but there is some other stuff (later experimental) out there that I am beginning to appreciate as well.

J-Bombay said...

Bruce,

Man, those India excursions sound pretty cool. I am sure you have some great stories to tell!

About the Coltrane, I will always have a spot for that guy. I started playing tenor sax (never any good) when I was in 5th grade, and for Christmas my grandpa gave me a "best of" tape from his Atlantic recordings. I had never even heard of him before, but I remember listening to "Ole" and simply being blown away. He got me interested in jazz in the first place, and his playing is always so powerful and emotional. (As a sidenote, I also got a Kenny G tape that year, Gravity, but it just seemed to collect dust--thank goodness! I am glad that I didn't tune in to that-- I could be listening to Dave Koz, the Yellowjackets and numerous other smooth jazz "giants" right now. Dodged that bullet! Phew!)

Anonymous said...

i really enjoy your writing choice, very attractive,
don't give up and keep creating considering it simply nicely to look through it.
impatient to read way more of your current well written articles, goodbye!

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Approvingly your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats off to you send, intention look audacious for the duration of more interdependent articles soon as its sole of my favourite subject-matter to read.

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...
For those of you who don't know, this is a photo of Peter Brotzmann, Evan Parker and Anthony Braxton, reed gods incarnate.