Monday, February 12, 2007

Practice by Doing

So, I guess rather than just sit here at the blank screen and try to think up something perfect, I might as well just get to typin'. As you can see from my profile pic I am a huge fan of Jim Woodring. If you are at all into graphic art and all things strange and wonderful, you really need to check out his "Frank" work. I am also really into (basically a borderline unhealthy addiction) free/avant jazz. Well, maybe just not free jazz, but creative sounds Some of my favorites include Ornette Coleman, Evan Parker, Anthony Braxton, Don Cherry, Charles Mingus, Archie Shepp--hmmmm, maybe I will have to revisit this idea later and give my favs for each instrument before this post turns into a complete name-dropping session. An example of my favorite albums? Perhaps also for a later discussion, but this last weekend I was listening to Archie Shepp's and Max Roach's duo double album set "The Long March" and was in absolute musical bliss.
Well, hopefully as time allows I'll be able to add some more stuff to this site. Somewhat ego-centric I know, but maybe somebody will actually have read some of this and take the time to leave some of their own opinions.

2 comments:

octopus and solar anus said...

not jazz related (or is it?) but if you are a j woodring fan, have you checked out the animations on the visions of frank dvd? they were done by a bunch of japanese animators/groups and are pretty great in my opinion. long live pupshaw! now, on to the jazz...

J-Bombay said...

Heh, heh,
That is quite a handle...
About the Frank animations, I actually got a copy around Christmas. The first short on the DVD (the name is currently eluding me) with Frank walking under the tree is absolutely mind bending. Pretty great? Such an understatement! Speaking of Pupshaw, I tried to find one of the large vinyl figures after viewing a travel blog filled with Pupshaw around the world (a different take on the travelling garden gnome idea I guess), but it seems impossible to track one down. I guess their owners coudln't stand to part with them. I am going to have to put up a post linking to the wonders of all things J.W. here pretty soon. Glad to hear you are "in the know"...

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...
For those of you who don't know, this is a photo of Peter Brotzmann, Evan Parker and Anthony Braxton, reed gods incarnate.