Friday, February 16, 2007

Some music to share...

Well, if you manage to drift this way and if you like John Zorn, and if you are okay with AAC files (just download iTunes), you should give this a try. I posted it over at the Crabbit and Daft discussion boards, but I will post it here as well. All of the information should be imbedded in the files. Good stuff! This was actually the first time I tried uploading something to a file-sharing network. If you have any comments or advice, please let me know! If not, just enjoy this stuff anyways! Hopefully now that I have figured out how easy it is to do this, I'll be able to put up some more of my obscure (yet still AAC) stuff. Otherwise I would have to dig my original copies out of boxes at the moment, and that might not be so much fun. Besides, I think it sounds great--someday we will have to do a blind audio test for the bitrate snobs to see if there really is a detectable difference.
J-Bombay

(Link Removed)

Enjoy!

http://www.emd.pl/muzyka/z/zorn_john/jzl1.jpg for the album art...

3 comments:

Boromir said...

Hi there,

Many thanks for the John Zorn. I only began to appreciate his merit very recently after hearing his Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet. New For Lulu is in a similar nostalgic style. Much of his other recordings just sound like a load of noise to me I'm afraid.

I agree with your logic of using AAC files. Unfortunately I need mp3 for my cheapo mp3 player, but I found some freeware software to convert your files very quickly. It can be downloaded from www.koyostar.free.fr.

I gather you're a big fan of Evan Parker. I have some early examples of his work which I could rip and make available if you're interested. I didn't want to take the liberty of just dropping links onto your blog.

J-Bombay said...

Hey Boromir,
Glad you liked the posts here. Some of Zorn's stuff does border on noise, but you might want to try listening to some of his Masada albums. More of a jazz base to them, relatively tame, and there is some pretty amazing work going on by his sidemen. I'll see if there is any out-of-print stuff that I could post here.
About your posts, feel free to up some links here. Even if I already have the albums in question, it would save the time of upping them and I am sure there are others out there who would love to hear more.
Thanks for your comments!

Clio said...

Yes, this News for Lulu does sound good. But in the opinion of this "bitrate snob," if you have the right equipment--and I'm not talking studio gear or anything crazy-expensive like that--then you will notice differences in bitrates--blind or not. Of course the original recording quality plays a role and sometimes it probably isn't worth the larger file size. But, then again, storage is quite cheap these days so why not go lossless? All this is a weird, and long-winded, way of saying thanks again for this post and I am enjoying it--medium bitrate and all :-) Good luck with the blog.

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...
For those of you who don't know, this is a photo of Peter Brotzmann, Evan Parker and Anthony Braxton, reed gods incarnate.