Monday, April 2, 2007

Air-in' it Out!



Well, here's a little bit extra due to some interest over at Church Number 9. I am sure Atanase already has his hands full with everything else that has been posted there lately (absolutely amazing music, by the way) and I thought I would throw this up for everyone to enjoy.

Yup, this album definitely lives up to the hype. Imagine ragtime jazz gone free, and that pretty much sums this up. It has some fantastic swinging moments, mixed up with the creative inflections of Hopkins, McCall and Threadgill. I think the thing that stands out the most that really drags you in to the music is the infectious sense of fun created here. Quite a session, and dang, I was going to try and single out a song to talk about, but it all jams. The folks over at Destination Out posted a couple tracks and some interesting information about Buddy Bolden, the book Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje (highly recommended--very vivid), and another version of "Buddy Bolden's Blues" by Jelly Roll Morton. Needless to say, an amazing post and I haven't been able to listen to the song in the same way since. Here's the link if you are interested (you should be):

http://destination-out.com/?cat=4

Unfortunately the tracks there are dead, but the important stuff you can get here...Enjoy! As Flux'us said, part of the Air "Holy Trinity"!

Air Lore
Air
1979
128 Rate AAC Files (Equivalent to 192 MP3)

Fred Hopkins - Bass
Steve McCall - Drums
Henry Threadgill - Sax (Alto)

1. Ragtime Dance - 9:20
2. Buddy Bolden Blues - 9:27
3. King Porter Stomp - 3:48
4. Paille Street - 2:19
5. Weeping Willow Rag - 11:35

http://www.rapidsafe.net/rc-UjMjJjZ4UTM/Air_Lore.zip

6 comments:

Flux'us said...

-J,

Thanks for upping this, I think I will put my feet up tonight, uncork a good bottle of wine & play this, Raid & Time back to back.

Sunmyth said...

I just found this blog and I have to say.... AWESOME! I have been looking for some of these for a while. Come check out my blog called http://thebrewingluminous.blogspot.com/

The Ghost of Jerry Reed said...

Thanks for the Air! Fred Hopkins did more to influence my playing than just about any other bassist, live or dead! I found your blog via Church Number Nine. Keep up the good posts. You spared me an ass-load of Ebay expenditures :)

Sunmyth said...

IMPORTANT!!! There is a person selling a mint condition Lp of the ultra rare MARZETTE WATTS ENSEMBLE (Savoy)!!!! The seller is 04elissa. Please pass this message around. Hopefully one of us will buy it and it will show up on someone's blog. There are also many othere rare avant-garde albums by the same seller that I would love to see posted on a blog.

Anonymous said...

sad this is gone

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...
For those of you who don't know, this is a photo of Peter Brotzmann, Evan Parker and Anthony Braxton, reed gods incarnate.