Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bummer of a day...



What a sad Thursday it has been. The creative collective lost a huge contributor today when Kurt Vonnegut passed away at the ripe young age of 84. I don't know why, but he always just seemed like one of those people who would carry on forever. Maybe that was just wishful thinking. Vonnegut's crass, wry wit made me an instant fan and I chewed threw his entire library the summer after high school. I had planned in my mind to someday meet him (or at least hear him speak), but it seemed that money or life always got in the way. Whatever the situation, I couldn't believe when I heard of his passing. His sometimes ascerbic viewpoint, brutal honesty and humor will be sorely missed. If only the earth could once again be graced with the smell of mustard gas and roses. Ahhh, as he would say, "So it goes."

As a FAR less tragic side, it appears that this site was "trolled" (I think that is what it is referred to as). None of the links on the front page work, but I am working to remedy that. Hopefully I will have this situation fixed by this weekend. I plan on using RapidSafe as an alternate after doing a little snooping around. It won't be quite as simple as before, but I don't think this will happen again. Anyone else have any better services/ideas? I am more than open to suggestions!

Oh, one last thing to tie these two situations together. Before his tragic passing, Mr. Vonnegut was actually able to quickly sketch the person who trashed the links. The sketch looked like this:



Hi, ho!

UPDATE!: Well, that sure went surprisingly fast... Try the new RapidSafe links for each post--when you reach the link page just click the middle (Download) button and you should be good to go. This works fine even if you have a premium account. Enjoy!

6 comments:

atanase said...

many thanks for posting this. he wanted the following quote to be his epitaph:
"only proof he needed for the existence of God was music"

that's a tremendous quote.
i meant to post this on my blog, but got sidetracked (as always). so thank you for doing this here.

by the way, apologies for such a delay in putting your link on c#9. it's my perrenial issue with side projects. it's all sorted now. thanks again and please keep this place running.

centrifuge said...

j, :-D i mean the a-hole comment, took me right back to my late teens... vonnegut was a really important teacher for me. i toast him at the time of his passing.

J-Bombay said...

Hi Atanase,

Hadn't heard about his epitaph before, thanks for the info! You are right about that being some powerful stuff. I can't even begin to count the times that something he wrote really spun my world view around.

Thanks for the link from C#9, but really there are no apologies necessary. With all of the cool stuff you have posted, I should be the one apologizing for not leaving more comments there! My ears can barely keep up with it all... Thanks again!

J

J-Bombay said...

Heya Centrifuge,

Breakfast of Champions was the first Vonnegut book I read, so I had to find some way to pay homage to it in the post. It just seemed very appropriate (never thought I would refer to a scribbled sketch of an asshole as appropriate...) to throw in there--glad you enjoyed it!

J

Prohibition69 said...

Shame Vonnegut's sketch isn't enough to go on-so many fit that description.

Btw, there there wouldn't be any chance of you using z-share to download the unknown? Its dead handy & t'would be much appreciated, thanks.

Anonymous said...

hello dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging allowing for regarding that meticulous make. The prices as regards the boots are about 180 pounds on every site. But finally I found this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...

Oh, to have been a fly on this wall...
For those of you who don't know, this is a photo of Peter Brotzmann, Evan Parker and Anthony Braxton, reed gods incarnate.